Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Living in the Moment


A question I have been pondering lately: is all this instant technology a good thing?

I know I know, we all benefit from many wonderful additions of technology to our lives, but when does it become too much? In several different social situations lately, I have been sitting amongst a group of people, some at work, some friends, some observations in restaurants, etc. where people are more focused on their phones, email, twitter, video games, or facebook than they are on the people they are with; they are no longer living in the moment. The problem this presents is great: we begin to lose the personal connections we have with people, we assume false intimacy with others, and we eventually begin to experience more through technology than we do with real life relationships and events.

Several examples:
One, I was sitting within a group of about 20 people, some new friends and some old, and at any given time I look around and rather than actually enjoying the people they are with, 12 out of those 20 people are checking facebook status’ of others or updating their own about what a fun time they are having at the tailgate: loss of personal connections with people

Two, I was at a small get together last week where a guy was attempting to talk to a girl in the group and instead of asking her real questions to try and get to know her, he brought up things he had previously seen on her facebook page and attempted to use this information to his advantage: assuming false intimacy with others

Three, at work last week, there were several guys who are friends and “hang out” together outside of school sitting together eating lunch; instead of discussing real life interactions they have experienced, they instantly launch into a video game dialog and talk through that: experiencing more through technology than through real life

Four, at the park on a beautiful fall afternoon, enjoying some free from stress moments with friends; people feel compelled to check their text messages or emails on their phones rather than relish the quiet, enjoy their surroundings, and they tend to rush things or lose the moment all together: not living in the moment

One of my favorite movies “You’ve Got Mail” describes a similar phenomenon in the main character’s life when she realizes the same thing with regards to experiencing things through reading books rather than experiencing them herself in real life: “Kathleen Kelly: Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, not small, but valuable. And sometimes I wonder do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? ”

So I ask you the same question: rather than always checking our “friends” facebook status; or twitter accounts, rather than constantly checking our email and talking on the phone or playing a video game, shouldn’t we be enjoying the people we are with? Investing time in developing real intimacy and engaging in relationships with those who are with us in person...right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment